Rain of Kindness
Upon his arrival at the city of Medina, he started asking people, ”Who is the most generous one in this city? Where does he live?”
Everyone referred him towards the house of Imam Hussain (PBUH).
The man found Imam Hussain (PBUH) praying in the mosque. He stood in front of the Imam (PBUH) and addressed him by saying the following poem:
-Whoever has hope in you and whoever knocks on your door will not be disappointed.
- You are extremely generous and trustworthy. You are the person whose father fought the corrupt people.
- We would have been caught by hellfire without your great family and ancestors.
He recited his poems. Imam Hussain (PBUH) greeted him, and then asked Qanbar,” Is there anything left for us from the properties of Hijaz?”
Qanbar replied, ”Yes; four thousand Dinars are left”.
Imam Hussain (PBUH) said,”Bring them. A person is here who deserves them more than us”.
Then, Imam Hussain (PBUH) took out his cover and wrapped the money in it. Then, out of shame from the man, he extended his hand out of the door and gave the money to the man while reciting these lines of poetry:
- Take it! And I apologize from you (because I have given you so little), and know that I am kind and compassionate towards you.
- If our right was given to us, the rain of blessing and generosity would have been fallen on you from our heaven.
- But what can be done when the events change the situation, and what I have now is little.
The narrator says that the man took the money, but it did not take long that he started crying with a loud voice.
Imam Hussain (PBUH) asked him, ”Did you find my grant insignificant?”
The man replied, ”That was not a little money. I am wondering how such generous hands will be buried one day”.(1)
(The above is a selection taken from,” Manaaqib Aal Abi-Talib (PBUT)”, by Late Muhammad ibn Shahr Ashoub) .